Surprising! Fascinating! Amazing! This experiment with water amazes children, both young and old. Science manages to amaze the little ones thanks to crafts like this one, which I have called Colored lights.
The strength of this activity is that it can be done by boys and girls of all ages. Depending on the stage of maturation in which the child is, they will have a different cognitive result, that is, each one will internalize and assimilate it in a different way. While for one child it may be the discovery of colors, for another it may simply be a way to entertain themselves.
- Glass jars
- Food coloring
By following these three simple steps we can carry out our activity:
1. We fill the boats with water. A little more than half a full jar will suffice.
2. The time has come to use food coloring. In each bottle we use a different color. Depending on the intensity of the tone that we want to achieve and the amount of water that we have added, so we will pour more or less drops of coloring. I advise you to start small and gradually increase it until you get the desired color.
3. Now, you have to turn off the lights, take out the flashlight and… magic! The colors will be projected onto the surface.
And why is this happening? This occurs because white light passes through transparent glass thus projecting the colors it contains, in this case water with food coloring. The effect we achieve is very similar to that obtained from stained glass.
It can be done both in dark places using a flashlight, as well as using natural light, but it will always be better seen in a dark environment and using a flashlight.
Did you know that the human eye is capable of distinguishing up to a million color varieties? The child lives surrounded by colors, there they are, they perceive them through the sense of sight and there are thousands of different shades.
At early ages (0-3 years) they do not know anything about them; they do not know how they are formed, they do not know their chromatic varieties or mixtures. But it does generate an emotion and they detect them during the first 6 months of life, for this reason we must carry out activities and games that put them in contact and experiment with them. They will love this experiment with water!
Apart from being an activity where the aesthetic, simple, different, among other characteristics, we must take into account the educational impact that it produces on our children or students, regardless of their age.
- Already during the first weeks of life begins to show interest in black and white colors. The brighter, brighter colors will begin to interest you as your visual perception develops.
- After two months The receptors sensitive to the color of the eye are working and begin to distinguish colors, first they will discover red, then green and after three months they will be blue and yellow.
- A little later, to the four months They can already distinguish most colors, while after six their visual perception already recognizes a wide range of colors and different tones.
It is because of that this activity can be carried out with boys and girls of any age range, provoking that emotion of amazement, discovery and beginning to appreciate the beauty of colors.
Even for children under 3-6 years it is very attractive, since they will be able to help and participate in the total development of the experiment; pouring the water, counting the drops of dye and projecting the light. They love to collaborate in carrying out activities, for them it is part of a game, and the best way to learn is by playing!
I encourage you to do this easy activity made with materials that you will surely have at home or in class, the little ones will love it!